A lot of people have some misconceptions about mold and mold growth. To the untrained and under-educated eye, mold can either be extremely scary or nothing to worry about at all. Here we will help you try and understand the myths and facts about mold, because it's important to grasp the full extent of this mysterious growth. These are some common myths about mold:
- Mold Can be Completely Erased - this is completely untrue because mold spores are naturally in our environment. There will always be some type of mold in your home but this is usually within the normal level - it begins to become an issue when it grows in large, visible colonies.
- "Black Mold" is the Most Dangerous Kind - this is mostly untrue because most mold that looks black is actually dark green and do not carry the Stachybotrys mold that can inflict health affects.
- Mold Remediation is Easily Handled Yourself - usually untrue unless your are dealing with a very small area in your bathroom for example. However, it is always recommended to call the professionals at SERVPRO of Chesterfield and SERVPRO of Tri-Cities Plus to handle mold concerns.
- Bleach Kills All Mold - this is not always true. Bleach may be able to kill certain types of mold, but only on nonporous surfaces. But mold on other materials such as wood is more complicated and not so straightforward.
- Mold Only Grows After Water Damage - this is not always true. Yes mold can grow is a water damaged area is not addressed right away. However, spores will grow without water and when humidity levels are high in a structure that is not kept dry and cool.
Call the professionals at SERVPRO of Chesterfield and SERVPRO of Tri-Cities Plus if you have mold issues in your home or business. 804-378-2323